Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Change-y Wreath Riff (and a bonus necklace!)

There are so many great ideas out there in blog-land...

Here's a wreath I made jumping off from Ruffled Burlap and Jute Wreath over at The Casabella Project.  Check out her blog, it's full of beautiful things and great tutorials.

My wreath looks nothing like hers, but I loved the idea of interchangeable flowers for different seasons.

Here's what I did:


Using a green floral wreath from Hobby Lobby, I cut some twill into strips.  I took the strips and wrapped and attached with my glue gun at the back of every other round.   If you cut your strips too long, it can be frustrating to wrap around the wreath.   Keep going until the entire wreath is covered.


Can you see the Velcro dots in this picture?   I purchased sticky Velcro dots and used my hot glue gun to attach them to the wreath in a random pattern.   (the "sticky" was not sticky enough:)


Then I made some rosettes, attached them to a small circle of felt, attached the OTHER side of the Velcro to each flower and attached them to the wreath.


Here's another look at the wreath with some other flowers


Here's what the wreath looks like today, after the addition of some beautiful felt and burlap flowers from a Tutorial over at Positively Splendid.

Here's a cool bonus:  Because all my flowers have Velcro on the back, I can change the flowers up to be used for different purposes like this super fun necklace:

I created the basic shape of the necklace out of felt, made a second shape of felt to attach to the back of the first to give it strength and placed the Velcro dots randomly on the necklace... Before attaching the two pieces of felt together, I slipped some grosgrain ribbon in each side.  I used my trusty glue gun to hold it all together.  FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment